Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

New medicine

Just when I think things are getting better, DWs tics hit this weird cycle. Where he upswings and downtime are rapid cycling! His tics are so bad in an upswing, that he's physically unable to finish a sentence! And he's picked up 3...yes THREE new tics in two weeks!!! Of course they are all vocal too, which even the best TS mother will tell you can really try a person's patience!

On top of this, though I'm unsure if it's a tic or not, he's taken to smacking his head so incredibly hard when he's really upset or being reprimanded. Everyone's immediate reaction to this is that it's an attention seeking behavior but, you'd have to see it to understand. He does not look at a soul when he does it, he repeats it several times and will even cry while doing it. It's quite painful to him. I've treated this as I do any other tic and paid it no mind but, the fact that he's doing it til he cries, it's very hard.
Talked to the neurologist here, who specializes in TS. He said its time to treat DW's tics....I knew deep down that we'd get to this day but, to have to hear it out loud, my heart broke yet again. So, he'll be started on a medication that has apparently worked well for other TS patients with severe or self harming tics. I'm quite nervous for some reason this time. I just hope it helps and like all of the medicine they give him does not make him too terribly tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment