Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

When Tics Attack

Ok, maybe they haven't attacked, but it feels like. It's been quite a few years since DW's tics have been debilitating. It's been quite a few years since anyone's flat out noticed his tics period! He's always ticcing, but with such short bursts and while he's moving, no one seemed to notice. Not even when they were obvious to me.

These last few months though, as his medications that have worked great for all sorts of his behaviors have begun to work less and less. Which has prompted some needed, but dreaded medication changes. It's also brought back the upswing of tics that I've not seen in some years.

Which is neither here nor there for me, but he's at that age now where he wants to be like everyone else, he's in the public more, etc. Which if you're a tic'er can be a hard thing. I don't have TS, but if in the room with someone I don't know who tics a lot and I'm uncomfortable, I find myself ticcing in response, if that makes any sort of sense. The point is that those who don't tic, notice those that do.

So, imagine my dismay over my mother-in-law commenting about how much he was pulling at his collar. Then commenting about how he was going to stretch it out. Then how it was going to wreck his shirt...and on and on.

Follow that by his half-brother, who is here for Christmas vacation, sitting at the table with DW turning to his father and asking his father! Why is he rocking the chair? Why is he touching everything with both hands? Why is he moving his arms like that? Why is he pulling on his shirt? Is that snort still a tic? I mean he's talking about his brother as if he's not even in the room with him! I corrected that and told him he just needs to ask DW and then drop it. DW has no problem saying "it's a tic" or "I have Tourette Syndrome".

As a mom, I fully expect to educate the public on a great many things with my boys, I just don't expect to have to continually refresh the family's memory. It's a tad frustrating. Especially when they can see that certain tics are so frustrating for him and he's bothered enough by them to start a sentence over  and over and over until he can get through it without that tic. Or when he's crying because he's grunted so much he's made himself hoarse and can't actually grunt!

Here's the thing I've taken to saying, if they're not bothering him too much, than they shouldn't bother you. It's not your body, your brain or you throat doing it. So, just assume anything that he's repeatedly doing is a tic and it's a part of him and move on! A bit brash,I know, but some days brash is needed!

I hope everyone has a tic-tacular New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment