Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Look Behind the Autism Curtain...

Like it or not, diagnosis isn't the end of the world per say. It's the beginning of another.

Each day bringing new surprises, the good and the bad. Bringing new discoveries, new practices, new experiences...each day is just that new.

Today, my day was bad....really B.A.D.!

I'm sharing what a real day is like with two Autism/Sensory kiddos (and then some) because most people don't have a clue what we really go through. I've carried my oldest son out of one too many stores to ignore the glares, the shocked looks of horror and the condescending sneers, not to know this.

So, today this was my day....

I took my oldest to his PT (physical therapy) appointment. My youngest and I went to an indoor playplace at our usual spot. He refused to play though, because it was too quiet....have I mentioned he hates noise and covers his ears quite frequently and screams?!

Pick up my oldest son and head out to get lunch before the next appointment. Mind you, I didn't schedule the appointments this way, they rescheduled and my oldest son, truly needs these appointments. So, the boys don't want to go to the usual place, they want to go someplace "new". New in my head is codeword for MELTDOWN! I shudder in fear and try to talk them out of it. They insist - I should say, my oldest insists that they're fine and can handle it. My youngest only understands "new playplace", he's all for it.

We get there and oh my goodness, the noise was unbearable to me!!! My boys were so excited that they didn't care though. My oldest son disengaged several million times from play and from his brother, never once did he engage another kiddo. And when someone pushed him from behind, the interrogator came out. Every kid that went down the slide after, was drilled about whether they pushed him and where they were when he was pushed. I was a tad on red alert at this point, but the other half of me thought: Aha, socialization!

Not even ten minutes later, bring on the reign of bullies. The same three boys, over and over and over again, began to take over his spot. Literally shoving him out of the way. Now he knows that though these guys tower over him, they are his age (he's very small for his age though). So, at first he tries to reason with them. One of them calls him a baby or something to that effect and then they ignore him. Needless to say, my hackles went up and they were separated. This happened several other times and I decided it was time to go, very much to my oldest's dismay. He attempted to regulate himself before we left by sitting on this spinning thing in the toddler section and spin repeatedly.
Now mind you, my youngest while verbal, doesn't do receptive language. Meaning you can talk to him, he may agree, even say yes or no, but chances are, he doesn't have a clue what you're saying. So, while it's clear when he's with other kids that he doesn't "fit in", they always sort of accept him and welcome him in. They never do this for my oldest and it's hard on him, because sometimes he notices and other times, he wants to play with his brother and notices that brother isn't around.

Anyway, long story short, we get to their OT (occupational therapy) session. My oldest begs them to go first because he's "had a bad day". They go check, but have scheduled testing for my youngest, who always does OT first anyway, so he has to wait. This sets my oldest off, just for a few. I wouldn't be mom, if I couldn't reign in mini meltdowns. :)  This should've been my warning right there, but I didn't listen.

Two hours later, when it's time for him to go, he's wasted too much time and lost his free time at the end of the session. Which is not to his learned schedule. So, of course, he meltsdown. At one point, he sees something out of place and NEEDS to replace it. We tell him that they can do it, because he's already yelling loudly. This panics him and he's yelling and screaming much louder, and backed himself into another room. By this point, I'm trying to retrieve him because the OTs, all three of them, have another kid there waiting and my son is scaring the grandmother to no end, the boy is starting to look upset and he's scaring my youngest as well. I get him out of the corner and then he becomes hysterical. As I'm trying to reach down and get him off the ground and out of the building, my youngest son, who is now freaking out because his big brother is so loud, has clutched not only my leg in a death grip, but he has my arm as well. So, I can't get a hold of my oldest son.
I finally get a hold of him, and let me tell you, with an autistic child, that is not easy feat in and of itself! As I'm making my way out of the door with this kicking, screaming child, my sweet little 5 year old knows the drill enough that he picks up big brother's lovies on the way out of the office. As I struggle to keep hold of my son, his little brother gently and lovingly places his big bother's lovies next to his car seat, climbs in and sits in his carseat like an angel!
In the meantime I'm no longer able to keep hold of my son and have him sort of pinned to the parking lot outside the opened door to his seat. This sounds bad, but he's trying to bolt back inside and fix the object still and he's screaming bloody murder. I somehow manage to get him in the backseat and this is how ingenious they can be in a meltdown when compelled to finish a compulsion, he wedges himself completely under the passenger seat, from the back! Now, I can't pull him out with the back seat, jammed in his back and I am unable to reach under to get him to bend his legs.
Little brother though, knows the drill. He sees his brother look at the open car door on his side and he immediately jumps up to shut it. I could've kissed him, had I been able to let go of my oldest. Now the only open door is behind me. So, I hold onto my son as best I can, rocking him, sweating, crying, assuring him that he will be ok, that I understand what he feels he needs to do, but that he'll be ok. After almost 20 minutes, I'm able to stand up and let go of him. He's still yelling, crying and huffing a little, but he's no longer ready to bolt. Which is good because my back and knees are broke and my arms feel like they weigh fifty pounds.

After several more minutes of me calmly talking to him, he agrees to get back up in his seat. And just like that, it's over for now. All this over the need to stay on schedule and to put something away where it belongs!

To anyone outside it looked like a spoiled child, or that he might've been reacting to me holding onto him, but this is our life. This is what we do. We deal with this every single day. And this is only one thing, one page, one instance. There are those of us who have it much worse, those of us, like myself that have two autistic kids in the house. There are those like my sons that have not only Autism, but multiple other comorbid conditions. Our life isn't always pretty, it's not always bad either, but what we really need more than anything - good or bad days, is a little less judgement from the average joe.

The next time you see that mom struggling in the store with a screaming kid, do me and the rest of us a favor, don't judge, don't glare, just don't! Take a moment to notice that we might be struggling, that our child may not be loosing it over a toy, that we may have two with special needs. Take a moment to tell us that we're doing ok, that you aren't there to weigh us down with more baggage we don't need.

Be humane to us, be compassionate, be kind. We will ALWAYS return the favor, whether to you, another stranger or another comrade in arms. We never take the things for granted that the rest of the world does. Please remember us, the next time you want to sneer at a screaming child and do what is RIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment